[NTLUG:Discuss] Tar Exclude file question

MadHat madhat at unspecific.com
Fri Feb 6 15:20:32 CST 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Stephen Davidson wrote:

> Ed Coates wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Stephen Davidson wrote:
>> Steve,
>> According to     info tar  the -X <file>   will look in <file> and
>> exclude
>> all those files listed there.  Either, make a file with all the
>> dirs/files
>> included in it, or maybe try the --exclude=<pattern>
>> Ed

ok, I am confused.  I have a file called exclude.   In it I put

/home/madhat/src
/home/madhat/tmp

Then I run the tar command:

tar -X exclude -zxvf backup.tgz /home/madhat

and it adds everything except what is in the exclude file.

Without you saying how you are running tar or adding any details abotu
error messages or output from the tar command, it is difficult to say
where it might be going wrong.