[NTLUG:Discuss] Sendmail config question

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Thu Feb 12 13:03:58 CST 2004

Wayne Dahl wrote:
> I've got a question about a possible sendmail config issue.  When this
> machine is set up for DHCP, it comes up with the name of the machine as
> the connection name.  When I have it configured for a static IP, it
> comes up as the machine name, which I have as newcomputer (not original,
> I know).
>
> Here's the question.  When the machine is booting up and it gets to the
> place it's initializing sendmail, if it's DHCP, sendmail and
> sendmail-client come right up and the system goes on to the next
> service.  When the machine is set up for the static IP and comes up as
> newcomputer, it hangs on sendmail and sendmail-client for a long time
> during bootup.  I imagine sendmail is having to resolve the machine name
> (at least, that's what I've thought it was).  Is there some config file
> where I can specify the machine name so sendmail and sendmail-client
> will start faster?

To get around the floating address problem.  SUSE assigns the
hostname to ONLY a secondary local interface IP...

172.0.0.2     myhostname.domain.com myhostname

This only breaks buggy software that make too many
assumptions (unfortunately there's quite a bit of
that out there).

Routable (internal/external) address is usually retrieved
from a name server or such.