[NTLUG:Discuss] OT:strange memory activity

kbrannen@gte.net kbrannen at gte.net
Sun Mar 14 21:09:23 CST 2004

Wayne Dahl wrote:

> The computer came back up seeing only 64 Megs of memory.  I thought
> maybe it was either a bad stick or was possibly a 64 Meg stick packaged
> in a 128 Meg blister pack.  At any rate, it was enough to install the
> software, so I let it go.

I've seen that before in a computer.  It's been long enough that I don't
remember the cause clearly, but I think it was because the MB only supported
up to a certain size DIMM and anything over that was just simply ignored.  So
since there were 3 slots and it wouldn't take anything over 128M sticks, the
max was 384M for the machine--period--no other options.

> ...   Before I installed that memory, I saw her computer was now
> seeing 128 Megs of memory instead of the 64 it was seeing before.
> Sometime since I installed that stick, the computer magically started
> seeing it for what it was.  Being the idiot I am, instead of just
> installing the software for her, ...

Well then my experience may not be yours here.  Steve's idea would seem to fix
the facts.  I've seen a machine that would only run for 5 minutes standing up,
but would run perfectly for many days if laying flat; probably a crack in the
MB was the culprit.

Kevin