[NTLUG:Discuss] OT:strange memory activity

Wayne Dahl w.dahl4 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 18 10:12:00 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 13:00, Greg Edwards wrote:

> DO NOT INSTALL A GENERIC BIOS!!!!
>
> There really is no such animal.
>
> Find out who made the board, what model, and version it is.  All board
> manufacturers have bios upgrades (if any exist) for their boards on
> their websites, and they're free.  If you know the maker and the model
> you can find out what choices you have in a rather short period of time.
>   OBTW, not all boards can be upgraded.
>
> Is the box a brand name or clone?

The box is a clone.  It's a Pionex, which I'd never heard of until I saw
it.  I think my wife bought it (before I met her) at a local computer
shop that builds computers.  I don't know if it's their brand or not.

I think since it's working for my mother-in-law, I'm not going to mess
with it any more.  When we get ready to get another computer, I'll take
out the 256 Meg stick (or both) if it's not being recognized and use it
elsewhere.

I appreciate the help with this, but this really is an old computer,
it'd doing what my mother-in-law wants (at least for now) and she's
talking about maybe buying a newer one anyway.

Thanks,

Wayne