[NTLUG:Discuss] BitTorrent on Libranet

Burton M. Strauss III Burton_Strauss at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 17:12:03 CST 2004

Basiclly there's no such thing as a 'server'.

Servers host the little files that tell you what the pieces are of, say a
particular ISO.

The 'client' runs both as a client - for you to download stuff - and as a
server to serve up the pieces of things you've downloaded to others.

If you're wanting to have a local repository for your users, ftp may be
simpler.

But you can always put the .iso files in the BitTorrent directory and fire
up the client.

See the http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html - esp.

Q. How can I contribute to a file distribution without downloading?
A. Just leave BitTorrent running after it's done downloading. If you already
have the complete file(s), restart downloading and resume to the existing
file(s).

-----Burton

US-based commercial support for ntop:
     http://www.ntopsupport.com