[NTLUG:Discuss] Alphaserver 2100

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Fri May 21 13:14:04 CDT 2004

comcast wrote:

> Hey,
> I just purchased a Compaq Alphaserver 2100 and was wondering if anybody has
> any experience with these, or basically... any advice as to what to do with
> it.  From what I've gathered it's a 4 processor DEC Alpha based system with
> 275MHz CPU's.  I've some some various reports of running Redhat 7.1/2 on
> these machines, but the majority of OS's that are reported as running are
> Digital Unix, Tru64 Unix. FreeBSD and OpenVMS.  I've never owned a server
> before and any advice or knowledge that anybody has would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,
> Collin.=

I have a cheaper Alphaserver (1 processor) running Debian. That
worked fine for me (but it's pretty old Debian and needs an update).
I had to pull the non-functional video card and replace it with
a Mach 64 based card.. that worked fine.  Had to boot initially with
MILO on a floppy and then convert things to boot off the hard drive.
Unit is designed (mine anyway) for Windows NT ONLY.