[NTLUG:Discuss] Burning a DVD .iso image

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Thu Jun 17 14:40:20 CDT 2004

Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:43:40AM -0500, Jack Snodgrass wrote:
>
>>I know how to use growiso ( something like that ) to burn
>>a directory of files onto a dvd.... growiso will just write the
>>file something.iso to the dvd... not make a bootable dvd...
>>
>>how to I burn a 4gig .iso image onto a DVD?
>>

> growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=/path/to/dvd.iso
>
> (if you are using FC2 to do the burn, chances are the scd0 is now an hdc or
> the like since ide-scsi is gone in 2.6)

Above for +R.  dvd recording varies GREATLY from system to
system now.  There isn't a defacto recorder right now because
there were so many implementations initially.  I started out with the
pro-DVD version of cdrecord from Mr. Schilling (author of
cdrecord).  But in SUSE 9.0/9.1, I noticed that it looked like
k3b was simply copying my .iso image STRAIGHT to the DVD.
How nice.

I know you're trying to burn FC2 CD's, does that mean you're
running FC1??

Depending on your dist/version, it could be:

cdrecord
dvdrecord
growisofs (DVD+R,+RW)
dd or cp even
...or nothing...  you have to have something fairly recent
to have DVD burning support.