[NTLUG:Discuss] thin clients, are they practical and satisfactory?

Ralph Green, Jr severian at mail.joimail.com
Wed Sep 15 00:49:39 CDT 2004

Howdy,
 Is this just a request for general information about thin clients or do
you have a particular application in mind?  The best solution can vary
depending on your needs and requirements.  This sounds a little obvious
as I write it, but it is still true.  I spoke with a gentleman last week
about a setup at a government agency he worked for.  They have thin
clients for security reasons, but they are very high end machines.  LTSP
has has good success with using lowend cast-off machines.  If yours is a
specific need, tell us about it.  If you just want one or two thin
clients at home, just about any old PC can serve the images.

  Several list members seem to have bought the little ThinNet machines
from Tanner's in the last two weeks.  They are nice little thin clients
that should be suitable for a variety of things like MP3 players.  It
would be great to find the Linux BIOS for these, and I expect there will
be more conversation about them.  Unless they turn out to be useless.
If you are going to be at the meeting this weekend, come a little early
and we can talk about it in the LIP room.
Good day,
Ralph