[NTLUG:Discuss] rebuilding a raid5 with bigger disks

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Dec 7 05:13:41 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 00:11, Robert Pearson wrote:
> Take a look at the article at---
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20040625/index.html

I didn't realize that Promise now has a FastTrak with on-board
intelligence.  Interesting.

> In particular the paragraph---
> Online Capacity Expansion
> Online capacity expansion is recommended for forward-thinking users.
> [When_this_feature _is_supported],
> you will be able to change the size of your array on the fly. This is
> a real boon if you intend to enlarge your array.

Of course, that means you actually _trust_ it.

I'd rather move my data, remount it elsewhere, and then organize a new
array, and copy it over.  At least on a production system.

But that's just me.

Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith at ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of
what they like about their "choice," but what they did not like
about another option.  Such advocacy is more hurtful than helpful.