[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: Best SCSI RAID for Linux -- SCSI _RAID_ (not just SCSI)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Dec 7 23:01:53 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 23:10, Kevin E. Ivey wrote:
> I have always had good performance and stability with TEKRAM DC- series
> cards.  The 3Ware stuff is great, but out of my usual price range.

Are you thinking "regular" SCSI cards?

The TekRam DC-390 (Symbios Logic 53c* series, now LSI) are _regular_
SCSI cards.  The TekRam DC-3x5 (TekRam 1080 chip was it?) is also.

I don't know of _any_ SCSI _RAID_ card, which is typically a
microcontroller (uC) + DRAM design that has a list price less than a
3Ware's for the same capabilities.

Now you _can_ find used/older cards, like the Mylex eXtremeRAID 1100 or
2000 (206MHz StrongARM microcontroller, predecessor to XScale) with 3-4
Ultra80/160 channels for ~$100 these days on eBay (they originally sold
for $999-1,999).  But _nothing_ new.

Most of LSI Logic's new ATA and SCSI RAID cards based on XScale are
$399+.

Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith at ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of
what they like about their "choice," but what they did not like
about another option.  Such advocacy is more hurtful than helpful.