[NTLUG:Discuss] "nvidia" vs "nv"drivers

Terry Henderson trryhend at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 21:27:44 CST 2004

In an attempt to install nvidia driver from
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run I seem to have damaged my RH9
desktop system and am not sure what to do about it.

During the installation process, I was informed that there would be a
conflict with rivafb
filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.20-24.9/kernel/drivers/video/riva/rivafb.o
The process continues in spite of the warning.
After allowing the script to complete it's tasks, I switch from "nv"
to "nvidia" driver, and the desktop loads but background is white and
operation erratic and unusable.

After switching back to "nv" driver I get error windows each time I start X.

==========================
The application unknown (ksplash) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
=========================
The application unknown (kmixctrl) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
=========================
The application unknown (kcminit) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
=========================
The application unknown (kfmclient) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
=========================
Those windows also contain the following two paragraphs which is
common to each of the errors:

What is this?
An application mostly receives the SIGSEGV signal due to a bug in the
application.  The application was asked to save its documents.
What you can do?
You might want to send a bug report to the author.  Please include as
much info as possible, mabe the original documents.  If you have a way
to reproduce the error, include this also.

Xwindow operation is normal after start up other than the fact that if
the screensaver is interrupted, an error window presents itself which
is identical to previous ones:
The application unknown (kdesktop_lock) crashed and caused the signal
11 (SIGSEGV).