[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: wifi config

Terry Henderson trryhend at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 23:24:33 CST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:12:22 -0600, MikeP <palazzini at comcast.net> wrote:
> Terry Henderson wrote:
>
> >Are you sure it's being loaded at boot-up?
> >(You could search dmesg for success or errors.)
> ># dmesg |grep ipw2200
> >or
> ># dmesg |grep IRQ
> >
> >Or you can just look to see if it's loaded into the running kernel:
> ># lsmod |grep ipw2200
> >or just see if ipw2200 is listed in output of:
> ># lsmod
> >If not, try:
> >insmod ipw2200
> >or:
> >modprobe ipw2200
> >if that works change ssid to match that of the router's and restart netwrok
> >

> Mr Henderson,
>
> When I run the commands you provided the ipw2200 driver is not found.

Have you downloaded and compiled driver module ipw2200 ?
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/#downloads

If you encounter errors, report them here.

(Read "INSTALL" and / or "README" and proceed as instructed.)

> The problem is I'm seeing it loaded during boot when Mepis is detecting
> the pci devices.

The system will detect the device, but the driver software is a different issue.

Downoald and compile driver http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/#downloads
    $ tar -zxvf ipw2200-0.19.tgz
    $ cd ipw2200-0.19
    $ ./configure
    $ make
    # make install

Load it into running kernel:
    # insmod ipw2200
or:
    # modprobe ipw2200

If any above processes fail, report errors.