[NTLUG:Discuss] [Fwd: Tax filing in Linux? How-to...]

Rev. wRy slot0k at pogox.org
Sun Jan 23 22:07:12 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 15:43, Kevin Brannen wrote:

> Yeh, we should, but I did want to let people know that Intuit and
> especially QB is not the wonderful solution it's advertised to be.
> After all, I know there are other people here who have their own small
> business (or may be thinking about it) and I'd like to spare them the
> pain and hassle I've had with QB.  Make your tax accountant happy, get
> Peachtree instead.  Lobby Peachtree to do a Linux version.  In fact, I
> think I'll go do that now. :-)

I work with 10-15 CPAs and they dumped Intuit tax software last year.
ProSeries has neither the features, nor the lack of annoyances present
in the consumer level versions of tax software.

CCH (ProSystemsFX) *used* to make CPA grade tax software packages that
would run on linux (RH 7.2), but I haven't really explored it fully to
tell you they still do.  Suffice it to say, it was and is expensive, and
if it already works?  I don't need the headache of switching platforms
in January.

I'm not even sure they still support linux, but for those hell bent on
moving off of winders and that do your own taxes, it might help.

> Kevin

RW