[NTLUG:Discuss] Ubuntu to the rescue

Richard Humphrey rlhumphrey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:11:37 CST 2005

Today at work one of my users brought me his Thinkpad (wouldnt boot
into Windows XP). I wasnt able to get it to even boot into safe mode,
it would simply cycle through the boot process. We needed to get data
off this machine before doing the famous F11 (Sytem restore) so I
popped in the Ubuntu Live CD and away I went, After a minute or so I
had a nice Gnome Desktop and mounted the hard drive, used Samba to
mount to one of our File Servers and began copying data over to the
network.

I will keep this live CD with me at all times now in case of
emergencies like this.

It's nice to know Linux can pick up the slack when Windows lets you down...

--
Richard Humphrey