[NTLUG:Discuss] SuSE 9.2 Updates -- LOOKOUT!

Stephen Davidson gorky at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Mar 13 13:59:55 CST 2005

Kevin Brannen wrote:

> Stephen Davidson wrote:

>> Hi Chris.
>>
>> With the Driver, unfortunately no I can't be more specific.  And the
>> corrupted driver is just a guess, but based on some observation and
>> experimentation.  Basically, what is happening is at fixed intervals
>> (I forget if it is every 3 sec's or every 5 sec's), the system "locks
>> up" for 1/2 sec.  During this time, CPU load for the system spikes to
>> %100.  And anytime I try to do anything that requires any kind of
>> work on the system, it is slow and sluggish.  Just bringing up
>> Eclipse (an IDE) runs the system load up to 5 - 7.  A project build
>> can run the load as high as 25 and take 1.5hrs or more.  (Build of
>> same project, in 9.1 before the upgrade, system load of 4, time
>> elapsed, < 5 minutes, and that was BEFORE a mess of code in the
>> project was refactored out into another project!).
>>
>> What is really bizarre is that fact that when the system is cold
>> booted, it behaves normally until the first time a load is put on
>> it.  Short loads are no problem.  Longer loads trigger the above
>> behaviour.  I don't have what the "cutoff" is, but normally, just
>> logging in to KDE does not trigger this (unless something causes KDE
>> to take longer than normal, such as another "heavy" process running -
>> in which case starting KDE will take 3 - 5 minutes to start).

> In a console/xterm, run "top" at the beginning before you stress the
> machine.  Now start stressing the machine and watch the top output.
> Whoever is causing the load should jump to the top.  That info
> *should* be enough to know where to go from there.
>
> HTH,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin.

Did that already.  Unforturnately the process causing the issue does not
show in Top, which is why I am thinking Kernel Driver.
The only two items to show up are gkrellm & powersaved.  And neither of
them hit %100.  Although they do both sometimes hit %50.  Gkrellm shows
system load (as opposed to user load) spikes of %100 every interval.

Reinstalling SuSE 9.2 w/o ACPI to see if that does any good.

Regards,
Steve

--
Java/J2EE Developer/Integrator