[NTLUG:Discuss] offtopic: is the AS400 considered a mainframe?

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 18:26:45 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 08:36 -0600, Lenrek Xunil wrote:
> Is the IBM AS400 considered a mainframe?  I have heard people at work
> refer to it as a mainframe, but I never thought about it that way.

It's not a mainframe. IBM's mainframes include the S/390 series and
zSeries boxes. The AS400, now called the iSeries is a mid-range system
though some of them can be quite large and robust and cost more than
low-end mainframes.

IBM's mainframes run z/OS and OS/390 operating systems.  The AS400/
iSeries runs the OS/400 operating systems.

> Also, is there AS400 emulation in Linux?  Does it work well?  Just
> curious.  Thanks.

I'm not aware of OS/400 emulation for Linux - which I assume you mean
something like Hercules http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/