[NTLUG:Discuss] ubuntu anyone

Seth Daniel ntlug.org at sethdaniel.org
Thu Apr 7 09:51:18 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:16:08AM -0500, Lance Simmons wrote:
> * Dennis Myhand <dmyhand at ednaisd.org> [050407 08:09]:
> > I hope they get thing more right than they have to this point.
>
> My experience of Ubuntu isn't that they don't have things right, but
> rather that they deliberately don't include or make special
> accommodations for software that doesn't satisfy their definition of
> free.  If you're waiting for them to include a media player that will
> play most media formats, you may wait a long time.  Java, Flash, and
> most media players currently don't meet Ubuntu's standards.
>
> To put it bluntly, when you download Ubuntu, you're downloading an
> operating system that has a Manifesto.  From their website:
>
> 	The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the
> 	Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of
> 	charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their
> 	local language and despite any disabilities, and that people
> 	should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in
> 	whatever way they see fit.

For flash, flashplugin-nonfree is available through the multiverse
section in the Ubuntu repo.

For w32codecs (which allow mplayer to play certain popular codecs) you
can place the following in your sources.list:

  deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

Then apt-get update, apt-get install w32codecs

The above site also has a lot of other packages that some people find
useful.

Regarding Java I have no idea.

I say this not to disagree with anything you said but simply to point
out that the packages are available.  I hope it can be useful to those
who require the above packages.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
Quit worrying about your health.  It'll go away.