[NTLUG:Discuss] why does the mail server stop working over and over again

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Tue May 3 09:48:00 CDT 2005

Jack Snodgrass wrote:
> They mail server seems to stop working for multiple days once or more pre
> month.
> What's worng with it?
> Is there one person that is too busy to notice that it's broke ( again )
> Is it a hardware issue
> Is it a software issue
>
> There is a bottleneck here someplace.

Not sure.  I guess what we need is somebody with some time
to look into this.  Send me an email at ccox at ntlug.org if
you believe you are the person to admin the server.

> This makes linux look bad when the NTLUG doesn't even have a decent
> mail server. I won't even mention the inability to provide coverage via a
> news group. The
> *News Groups (Currently broken on our server)
> *message has been on the ntlug home page for weeks.

We do have moderation on our lists and sometimes it means
that they aren't monitored and things will queue up a bit.

I personally would like to see the newgroups return.  It's
probably a simple matter to make them work... while many
know how to put up a newserver, not too many appear to
know how to establish the linkage between news and mail
(post to news -> list, post to list -> news).  So if this
is your forte... again, send me an email at ccox at ntlug.org.

> We can fix this if the powers that be will let us.

Uh... done.. I think... if you're saying you want to
be our full time admin?

Send me a message.
Chris