[NTLUG:Discuss] A Firewall

John K. Taber jktaber at charter.net
Fri May 20 09:41:31 CDT 2005

After a little googling, I settled on Firestarter for my firewall. See
http://www.fs-security.com/.

Its first attraction is the Users Guide, which is well written, even if
perhaps by an author using English as a second language. A well written
guide in the Linux world is rare enough to be remarkable all by itself.

The guide does not assume I know things that I don't. It answers my
questions instead of filling me with many more questions.

Firestarter is familiar, sort of like Zone Alarm, so that I don't have a
steep learning curve. I read the 32 page guide, downloaded the program
(in rpm form) followed directions and installed it.

In contrast, I did not understand Lokkit or IPCOP. I'm sure these are
fine programs, but I need to understand them at least well enough to use
them.

I am interested in other people's reactions.

John