[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: need hardware config recommendations

Robert Pearson rdpears at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:26:30 CDT 2005

On 6/4/05, Steve Baker <sjbaker1 at airmail.net> wrote:
> ...[snip]...
> PCI-express switches us from a single parallel interface to a
> configurable number of serial 'lanes'.  The underlying protocols
> of PCI are retained.
> ...[snip]...
> I actually believe that PCI-express has the potential to totally
> revolutionise the whole computer industry.

I believe this also...

> One key thing about PCI-e is the idea that these 'lanes' of serial
> data are capable of operating over distances of a few feet.  Several
> companies I've talked to have indicated that they plan to work towards
> a situation where the PCI-e lanes are brought out of the PC on exernal
> connectors.

What about Wireless? Same concept, just no wires. Wireless rates too slow?

> Both of the major graphics companies have suggested that they may move
> their graphics products out of the PC case and into a separate box
> that would connect into the main PC via PCI-e.
>
> This makes a lot of sense for them because it allows them to choose
> their own form factors - to provide their own power supplies and
> to arrange for their own cooling.  Power supplies on most cheap
> Dell/Gateway machines are nowhere near powerful enough to drive
> these $400 graphics cards - and looking at the huge cooling rigs
> on some of the latest cards, that is evidently becoming a major
> problem for the manufacturers.

Look at how many PC peripherals are Wireless now... they could all be Wireless
We may have to crawl before we can walk. At least we are moving in the
right direction.

> Furthermore, it would be perfectly possible for a Laptop to
> provide a handful of external PCI-e connectors.  So you could
> run your laptop with it's fairly poor graphics when you are
> on the road - but when you get home, you could plug in an
> external graphics adaptor and get the full power of the
> desktop.
>
> If other peripherals went that way, there would be no need
> for the PC to have any internal slots at all.  This would
> mean that PC's would no longer need to obey a standard form
> factor either.

I have been asking the Storage vendors when they were going to deliver
Wireless Storage. They all fall down laughing up to now...

> I think this could be the final death of the large beige
> PC box.

I hope so...

Thanks,

Robert