[NTLUG:Discuss] Debian

Kevin Brannen kbrannen at pwhome.com
Thu Jun 23 19:25:41 CDT 2005

Peter A. Koren wrote:

>Terry, you raise a good point. I have had it with the brain dead rpm
>"dependency hell". I will be switching from Mandrake to another -- or
>other -- distribution(s). I have been trying to install SciPy, the
>Scientific Python package for Linux and have run into one roadblock
>after another. After trying to set up Mandrake's URPMI install manager
>for the 6 CD Power Pack version of 10.1 by adding each disk to be
>considered a source, the manager complained that the dependency files
>were missing from some of those disks.
>
>In any case, I will be switching to Quantian Linux, a Knoppix derivative
>-- Knoppix itself being a live CD derivative of Debian. I can also
>install Quantian to the hard drive and I intend to do that. Quantian is
>one of two distributions I know of that serves the scientific and
>engineering community with distributions having a slew of appropriate --
>scientific and engineering -- applications installed by default.

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone more versed in Debian will correct me...

One of the battles we've recently run across at work is when you want to
remove software from a Debian based install.  It doesn't seem to work
very well, as it complains about breaking dependencies and such.  That's
all well and good, but what if you really want the software removed?
(Note, I'm not talking about libs which is problematic, but it has been
reported it won't let us remove apps!)

So I think "dependency hell" can come in many varities.  Pick your
favorite poison... ;-)

Kevin