[NTLUG:Discuss] syslog message ReiserFS: dm-3 <--what's dm-3??

Richard Geoffrion ntlug at rain4us.net
Tue Jul 26 11:58:16 CDT 2005

Ok...so I've finished the message...and I've figured out SOME of what I
was asking.  I don't know how to do it without jumping through the hoops
I did, but for now, the immediate concern is quelled.   So now....the
rest of this post becomes academic.  What is a dm-3 why is it used
instead of like..oh..the device name or the LVM name??   How do I
correlate the two (dm-x --vs-- /dev/X)?  What is that 'dm-3' thing
called...so I know what I need to google for?  I don't even know WHAT! I
need to google for..so if you can point me in the right direction..then
thanks..

-----------------------

Quick background.

Slackware 10, two motherboard controlled SATA drives as system
disks(/dev/sda, /dev/sdb),  two 3ware raid controller with one 6-disk
raid-5 array as /dev/sdc on one card and four single  hot-pull drives
configured as /dev/sd[d,e,f, and g.]

LVM is configured on /dev/sd[d-g] with each disk being its own seperate
Physical Volume(pv), Volume Group(vg), and Logical Volume(lv).

So I get this message in syslog.
Jul 25 02:53:25 gwibkp kernel: ReiserFS: dm-3: warning: zam-7001: io
error in reiserfs_find_entry

OK..so what the heck is dm-3?  I'm  sure it's a device...but how / where
does it get assigned and how do I coorelate it with either my /dev/$VG/
$LV  --or-- /dev/sdd-g  devices??

A snippet of  `cat /proc/diskstats`  shows:
  253    1 dm-1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  253    2 dm-2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  253    0 dm-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  253    3 dm-3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

...but that doesn't help me too much..

So here I am hoping that describing this would help the answer
surface..but I still don't know.  What I DO know is that during the
composition of this message I umount'ed two LVs that turned out to be
dm-0 and dm-3.   I removed the dm-0 device from the hot pull tray and
remounted the LV that had previously been referenced as dm-3.  When it
mounted, I noticed that it now shows up in syslog as dm-0.  After a bit
more hair pulling.. I ran `pvdisplay` and that DID do a good job of
correlating /dev/sdg with the physical disk that I KNOW I umounted, left
in and then re-mounted. So I have identified /dev/sdg as my
failing/fsck-needing  identity-crisis drive.

Running the 3ware command also showed me in what order the system
assigned /dev 's to my drives...  Since sda, sdb, and sdc are on the
motherboard and other 3ware controller respectively...  the following
information from the `tw_cli info c3` command shows me that   u0 = /sdd,
u1=sde..etc..    So here is my confusion....  u3 WAS dm-3 when I started
this whole process. (I didn't realize it at the time..but through my
troubleshooting steps--I now know.)  After umounting the devices
attached to u3 and u0, removing u0 all together..and then remounting u3
-- well after doing all of that, u3 became dm-0 in the syslog kernel
messages.  I'm now running reiserfsck on /$VG/$LV ( u3 ) and the kernel
messages are referring to dm-0.   So.. I still don'tk now how to
correlate the dm-X devices with my actual physical disks!!!!   I also
don't understand why the 3ware driver won't stop seeing a drive that is
NO LONGER IN THE @#$%@^@$ system!    Controller 3-Port 2 / U0 is NO
LONGER IN THE BAY..but it's still listed.

Unit  UnitType  Status         %Cmpl  Stripe  Size(GB)  Cache  AVerify
OvrECC
u0    SINGLE    OK             -      -       232.82    ON     OFF
-
u1    SINGLE    OK             -      -       232.82    ON     OFF
-
u2    SINGLE    OK             -      -       232.82    ON     OFF
-
u3    SINGLE    OK             -      -       232.82    ON     OFF
-

Port   Status           Unit   Size        Blocks        Serial
p0     OK               u1     233.76 GB   490234752     Y62A1H6E
p1     OK               u2     233.76 GB   490234752     Y6304J2E
p2     OK               u0     233.76 GB   490234752     Y6304J0E
p3     OK               u3     233.76 GB   490234752     Y62Z8WGE
p4     NOT-PRESENT      -      -           -             -
p5     NOT-PRESENT      -      -           -             -
p6     NOT-PRESENT      -      -           -             -
p7     NOT-PRESENT      -      -           -             -