[NTLUG:Discuss] OT attachments to email

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Thu Aug 4 14:08:24 CDT 2005

All
This a bit off topic, but it does start with Unix.  The question first,
and then the details for those who are interested.

Question:
 From a Unix system, I need to send script generated email to a list of
addresses with an attachment.  The recipients are a mixed bag - PC and
MAC users, and some use Notes as their mail client.  As detailed below,
the result for some MAC/Notes user is less than satisfactory when I use
'uuencode'.  Can anyone suggest another route, or some documentation,
please?  Or is this just a hopeless case of non-interoperability?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer
Regards
Fred James

Details:
(1) I am generating a message and sending it to a list, with an
attachment which happens to be a Word document (that's what I was given
to send).
(2) The message is generated on a Unix box (IRIX 6.5) by a BASH script,
and sent out using 'mailx' which on IRIX supports the tilde escapes
(such as ~| ~rt ~s).
(3) The first line in the text file that is sent with the command 'cat
filename | mailx address' is '~|/usr/bsd/uuencode /localpath/filename
remote_filename'

The results have been very good with the '*.doc' file, whether gzip'd or
not, except there is a 'gotcha' for some users.

The corporation encourages (mandates for some) the use of Lotus Notes,
and so some folks receive their email through Notes.  That's OK for most
folks, especially those on a PC running some version of Windows.  The
problem comes with MACs, where when using the method outlined above they
receive the attachment as an ASCII text block that is part of the
message body - that is ugly.

If I use the command line 'uuencode localpath/filename remote_filename |
mailx -s "subject line" address', the MAC/Notes user gets an attachment
that can be saved and opened successfully through MS Word.  But it the
icon indicates that the file isn't recognized as a MS Word document (and
all that that means to the user).

Side Note:  A PC/Notes user who received the original message/attachment
successfully, can then forward that same bundle to a MAC/Notes user who
does then receive and open the forwarded message/attachment successfully
- go figure.