[NTLUG:Discuss] re: video card recommendations

Fred fredstevens at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 09:47:34 CDT 2005

Jay wrote:
"I guess since I wont be playing any games, I could go to a server
board that HAS PCI-X and just get the best damn PCI video card I can
find. I just want high res for video editing and the GUI(KDE)"

???

If you aren't playing games and don't need the graphics engine to
draw your Warhammer scenes, if you are editing video and needing
cripness in the display, just about any 128 meg or bigger video card
will do. The key at that point is a damn fine monitor, which still
happens to be crt-based. 1600 at least, 20" diag at least.

One of my clients has a very good video card in her system but kept
complaining about not being able to read license tag numbers on her
lcd monitor. I put in a $40 surplus 17" crt monitor and now I walk on
water - according to her. Oh, yeah. that lcd monitor is on my wife's
puter now, 'cause the client didn't want that "piece of crap" in her
office. Fair trade, I thought.

Fred Stevens
Stevens Systems