[NTLUG:Discuss] Linux vs FreeBSD

Burton Strauss Burton_Strauss at comcast.net
Wed Oct 19 07:39:09 CDT 2005

FreeBSD traces itself back to 4.4BSD (AT&T Unix) directly.

In those days AT&T gave Universities the source code for Unix, but wouldn't
allow it to be re-released.

Berkeley was distributing patches/bug fixes/additional features.  There was
a big court case, resolved via a secret settlement.  From that, AT&T went on
with it's proprietary Unixes and Berkeley released a non-infringing version,
which became known as 4.4BSD.

Linux was developed from the SPECIFICATIONS of an 2nd tier Unix clone,
Minix.

Head over to Groklaw - there are postings of a (now) 19 part series on the
history of Unix.

-----Burton