[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: DHCP

Burton Strauss Burton_Strauss at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 21:35:14 CDT 2005

Not really ... Understand that the DHCP standard (RFC I forget the #) says
that as part of the assignment, there SHOULD be a test to make sure the
address is not in use.  It's possible - but inadvisable - to claim
compliance with the RFC without implementing "SHOULD"s (that's vs. a MUST).

Still, any modern server and stack will prevent the allocation and/or detect
it later on.

Is it a GOOD thing to do?  No.  Why ask for trouble.

-----Burton