[NTLUG:Discuss] Verizon Fiber

David Simmons dave at dgnal.net
Wed Nov 9 16:50:03 CST 2005

> What you really
> have is a block of IPs on a class C block.  Arin is a different beast, and
> really requires everything be in clean subnets, so they file you with Arin
> as a /29.  What this really does is allow you to run your own reverse DNS
> for those IPs which are assigned to you, and takes the burden off of
> verizon.net.
> Sure it looks non standard, but look at the purpose of arin, and it makes
> sense that things are filed with them to meet their requirements for
> sanity, but handled by the ISP in they way which requires the least amount
> of stress/work... I am sure it is also a bit easier to explain to their
> call center folks who don't understand networking that "All default
> gateways should be .1" Class C is easier for the uninitiated to grok.

Ok...guess I'm not saying clearly my beef with them.  Ok, sure I'm
receiving 5 static IP's from a class C block with them...but my name is
LITERALLY on all 8!?!?  So whoever the other yahoo's are that have the
three that are not routeable by me are using my name...and everything
going/coming to those IP's has my name...doesn't that seem bass ackwards
to you!?  and NOT 'top notch'??