[NTLUG:Discuss] I want to print from my desktop Linux system

Kevin Brannen kbrannen at pwhome.com
Fri Nov 25 23:04:00 CST 2005

Charles Cashion wrote:

>     I want to print from my desktop Linux system.
>
> At the last LIP mtg, I brought my own copy of KNOPPIX 3.6.
> One kind gentleman demonstrated it for me.
>
> I observed that there were seven stations in use. Three
> stations were laptops. Four were full desktop computers.
> Up to this Saturday, I was reluctant to bring in my full
> desktop system. But after observing it done by others, I
> decided to bring it.
>
>     computer
>     monitor
>     keyboard
>     mouse
>     printer    (Canon i550)
>
> I want to print from my desktop Linux system.

Charles,

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm trying to catch up on old email...

Did you ever get this working?  I ask because I have a Canon i560 and
had a devil of a time making it work correctly.  In fact, it only works
sometimes, but that's generally OK with me as I don't print that much. :-)

The secret seemed to be in getting the right driver.  With enough
googling, I finally found out that Canon did release a Linux driver for
the i560, but they only released it in Japan.  So going to the Japanese
Canon site allowed me to find it (the google entry pointed me to the
proper one as the name {pixus} wasn't obvious either).

Your i550 may be in the same boat, why I'm writing.  So if you're still
stuck, try going that direction.  Sorry I can't tell you what the URL
was, but in looking at my installed RPMs, I believe what fixed it all was:

bjfiltercups-2.4-0
bjfilterpixus560i-2.4-0

So try searching for "bjfilterpixus550i" and see what you get.

HTH,
Kevin