[NTLUG:Discuss] Rootkit or SELinux

lonny.dahl@verizon.com lonny.dahl at verizon.com
Thu Dec 15 09:11:29 CST 2005

Over the weekend, I had a massive brain fart and forgot my login password
for my Fedora Core 3 box.  When I attempted to log in as root, I got a
message that root logins are not allowed.  Now, I had updated the machine
and an SELinux update was one I downloaded.  Is it possible the update
enabled SELinux?  If so, how do I go about disabling it again? I had it
disabled (was one of the questions I answered on install).  Or is it more
likely my machine has a rootkit?  I usually leave the machine off and only
turn it on when I need to use it, so if it has a rootkit, what do you
recommend to check for it?  I'm not keen on leaving it on for any length of
time until I know it's safe to do so.

Thanks guys,

Wayne Dahl