[NTLUG:Discuss] HD problems from a Windows machine

Russ russ.barrows at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 20:27:18 CST 2005

I know this isn't a Windows site but I need help to try to extract
files from a hard drive from a crashed a friend's Windows system.

slow, old PC I've use in the past for fiddling with various Linux
distros.  My intention was to boot with Linux, copy the desired files
from the hard drive and leave it at that.

The only drives in the system are a CD-ROM, a floppy, and the suspect
hard drive.  I powered on with Knoppix 3.9 and while things were slow
and the HD light kept flickering (despite specifying noswap during
boot), I was able to see the contents of the drive.  I should have
transferred the desired files, but I ran out of time and had to leave
the house.

On returning, I powered up the machine thinking I would be able to get
back to the same place.  However, this time the logon was even slower
with the CD-ROM spinning up and slowing down with no results.  I was
never able to see the HD again and the disruption, finally ending in
kernel panic, was even more frantic with each successive logon.
Knoppix STD 1.0 got a little further because I think it uses a windows
manager that doesn't load the system too much.

I don't know what other information you might need to assist.  Advice
is welcome.  Please keep in mind that I'm somewhat of a newbie when it
comes to Linux.

--
Russ