[NTLUG:Discuss] Do LUGs Still Matter?

Stan Gatchel sgatchel at psltech.com
Mon Dec 26 01:57:34 CST 2005

Leroy,

Thanks for your suggestions. I was wondering if we could have some
regular program for newbies and if we did that, would anybody show up?

Long ago (yikes! 3 years ago this April) we held a 1 day seminar at the
Grand Prairie High School called "Linux in Education, Spring
Conference." It was all organized by a wonderful teacher there named
Marilyn Hagle, who, on her own, put Knoppix on all the workstations in
her class. She became a Linux enthusiast and decided to hold this
conference in 2002. She obtained approval from the school posted for
help on some sites. That's where I learned of the conference and wrote
to her. Several of the LUG members helped (Dennis? Tom?). We only had
about 20 people attend, but some came as far away as Austin and some
were from Dallas. It was completely focused on elementary education.
Some students even gave demos. The people who attended really
appreciated it.

Marilyn still has the link up:  http://www.hagle.com/index.html (click
on the speakers and links to see the agenda)

The conference assumed no previous knowledge of Linux (or even computers
for that matter). Through a series of presentations, we stepped people
through the basic ideas in simple terms.  All the presentations were
developed in OO.o 1.0. The presentations given that day have been sent
everywhere. In fact, Marilyn still sends these presentations to people.

One of the attendees, Gil Brand, who lead the NTPCUG Linux SIG every
month at North Lake College, asked me to present some of these segments
at their meetings, which I did. I don't think many newbies were there
but they listened (with my luck, they were probably all sys admins ;-)

There seems to be a lot of interest in Linux but most people barely
understand what they use now. When you throw Linux at them it can be
overwhelming, so they stay with what they know. Would these people show
up at the meetings if we held a regular newbie sessions (maybe separate
from the main session?)

Thanks,

Stan