[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: Do LUGs Still Matter

Dennis Rice dearroz at comcast.net
Mon Dec 26 12:35:31 CST 2005

Alias Chuck wrote:

This was something I was thinking about the other day.  There is no one really
advertising Linux, except to enterprise users.  No one is inviting people to
try it on the desktop for fun or education.  Linux has all but vanished from
the mainstream press.  I check out PC World and that other PC magazine most
months at the library and there is NEVER a mention of Linux.  I did some work
in a school recently and the classroom with computers in it was marked on the
plans "MS Computer Lab" (I asked; MS is Microsoft).  In the five years I have
been using Linux I have met exactly ONE other person who has tried it
(outside the LUG).

So I wonder; would it be a good idea to try a little marketing?  What about
doing an "Install Fest" at the local library or school?  There are
"Technology" classes at most of the middle and high schools.   I know
teachers and they would probably be interested in an offer of a guest
presentation on Linux.  Could the LUG organize something like that?

The most powerful corporation the world has ever known has to resort to
posting that pathetic "Get The Facts" website to try and influence people to
avoid Linux.  Is there anything we can do to counter that, even a little bit?

We have had an offer by Novell to work and support an activity, as initially worked up by Chris Cox, but no one has been willing to step up and put forth the extra effort.  I would love to, but I know at the moment I do not have the time to devote to the effort, and hence, I would perform a poor job.

I want to commend Chris for being willing to keep going in providing leadership, even if he thinks want to be replaced (not true, just needs another day or two in the week devoted to our group ;-).

So I put forth the question to the group - what do we want to do and who is willing to lead?  The Novell effort is superb, just needs an active leader.  Would someone please step forward.  All groups are centered around the leaders, and we have some excellent leaders now, but we do need more ideas and people to diversify the workload.

Who is willing to step up?

Dennis