[NTLUG:Discuss] Re: OT: digital camera question

tr_data1 tr_data1 at ev1.net
Sat Dec 31 16:32:51 CST 2005

>Vivitar ViviCam 3345 1.3 mega pixels
>[Problem]
>Photos taken at high resolution come out "banded" - first part looks
>like it might be OK, then it breaks into bands of image fragments and
>different colors.
>Phots taken at low resolution come out fine.

IIRC, your followup posts indicate that the pics transfered fine to XP and
only lowres ones seem to xfr to linux successfully. I have a similar problem
using the PCMIA (or whatever that insainly long acronym is...) slot on my
printer (via memory chip->adaptor->PCMIA). I haven't had time to get an
updated gphoto2 installed as it doesn't know about my Canon 20D yet.
So, I must do the very slow route of my printer's slot. Anyway, I noticed
that this approach tends to be flaky. Sometimes, some of the pic file
contents aren't fully copied. Sometimes I have to unplug and plug back
in the USB cable, etc. A workaround seemed to be to copy a small set
of files at a time, not the whole card.

Anyway, I suspect it's a USB driver problem. Maybe it's timing out. Of
course, it could be a number of other things, such as a cheap USB
cable or noise on the line. So, go nab the latest USB drivers and give
them a try.

Lastly, if you do end up getting a memory card for the camera, you
might consider a Lexar multi-card reader at Walmart.com. I just got
one yesterday. $10 + shipping. USB 2.0.  I don't have it installed so
can't comment on it's reliablity. I still have hopes of connecting my
20D directly (as it has USB 2.0 i/f) instead of yanking the memory
card out each time.
=TR=