[NTLUG:Discuss] Tape Update - Parallel Port Dead???

Stephen Davidson gorky at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Mar 19 19:49:38 CST 2006

Hi Robert.

-Steve
Robert Pearson wrote:
> On 3/18/06, Stephen Davidson <gorky at freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
>> Greetings.
>>
>> Well, it seems that I have solved the mystery of why I can't get my tape
>> drive to work, the parallel port seems to be offline.  At the Linux fair
>> today, I was trying to get the Parallel Printer on my FileServer (and
>> older AMD 2Ghz) to work, and ran into what appears to be a kernel
>> issue.  This is on OpenSuSE 10.0.  (Many thanks to Wayne for agreeing to
>> work with me offline to solve this!).  Well, just for the fun of it,
>> decided to try on my laptop, which is also running OpenSuSE 10.0.  I did
>> not get the "FIFO" issue that we saw on my fileserver, but that was
>> probably because lp0 was "Not a valid file"!  Since the Tape Drive in
>> question works through the Parallel Port, a I suspect that a failure in
>> the Parallel port would cause the Drive not to work.
>>
>> I will post more updates as I get the details.
>>

> The Ditto 2GB tape drive works on the OpenSUSE 10.0 laptop parallel port?

Nope.  Does not work.
> Is that correct?
> The Ditto 2GB tape drive still does not work on the OpenSUSE 10.0 server?

Never tried it.  The server is throwing Timeout, FIFO, and DMA errors
into the log from the PARPORT module when I try printing.
> Does a printer work on the OpenSUSE 10.0 server parallel port?

Nope.  And does not work on the Laptop either.  Both are running
OpenSuSE 10.0.  Printer does work when connected to another computer.
> This might help clarify where the kernel problem is.

In the case of the file server, the Kernel is logging various errors
into the system log whenever anything tries to access the parallel
port.  Wayne Walker earlier requested my logs and various configs, and
has since received a copy.  I am hoping he can figure out what is going on.