[NTLUG:Discuss] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Via/S3G Unichrome Pro IGP video adapter

Stuart Johnston saj at thecommune.net
Thu Mar 23 10:27:51 CST 2006

Leroy Tennison wrote:
> Richard Geoffrion wrote:
>> Leroy Tennison wrote:
>>

>>> <Diatribe on> <Snip all of the truth></Diatribe off>
>>>

>> I agree with you on the Linux/Via factor.  I too recommend that Linux
>> users steer clear of Via chipset motherboard.  While some may have
>> success, I have found the quality and reliability not worth the time.
>> Spend the extra few bux and save yourself grief.   (Nvidia for AMD...or
>> just go with Intel/p4/xeon/etc.)
>>
>> If time is money, then VIA is expensive.
>>

> Anybody want to buy an AMD Sempron 2800+ and VIA K8M8M motherboard for a
> Windows machine? :-)

Sounds like you and Tom may have given up and it may be more trouble
than it is worth but...

Unichrome systems seem to be pretty popular with MythTV users for the
small form-factor and integrated mpeg decoder (XvMC) so it must be
possible to get it to work.

Have you tried:

- Binary drivers from VIA
- http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/
- http://www.openchrome.org/
- Different distributions with possibly newer Xorg drivers
- Knoppix
- Maybe even KnoppMyth?