[NTLUG:Discuss] Grub Video Config Help

David Stanaway david at stanaway.net
Sat Apr 1 22:07:58 CST 2006

Robert Pearson wrote:
> On 4/1/06, Stephen Davidson <gorky at freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I am having an issue with GRUB, Linux booting, and LCD Monitors.  During
>> the boot (after the countdown finishes), the LCD monitor is flashing
>> "input not supported" at me, until XDM starts.  I was wondering how to
>> change the video mode during booting to something the LCD supports.
>> This would be especially useful for when the system fails to start
>> runlevel 5 and X, especially when something happens and it goes to
>> Single User mode.
>>
>> I was unable to find anything either in the info pages, man pages, or on
>> Google on how to do this.
I don't think it is an X problem, it sounds like X works fine, but its
the console frambuffer which causes a problem.

What type of graphics card are you using?  You may like to append a
kernel arg that changes the text mode for your console.

Do you see the grub boot menu or not?
When exactly is it that you loose the screen res?

1) BIOS init
2) Grub
3) Kernel boot
4) init scripts - eg: loading modules, or auto detecting hardware?