[NTLUG:Discuss] OT vpn client

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Fri Aug 11 13:49:09 CDT 2006

Wayne Walker wrote:

>search for poptop I think.
>
>On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:03:55AM -0500, Fred James wrote:
>

>>Stuart Johnston wrote:

>>>When you say client, do you mean you need to connect to an existing vpn server, like a Cisco Pix or
>>>something?
>>>
>>>Otherwise, I'd suggest: http://openvpn.net/
>>>

>>Stuart Johnston
>>Yes, unfortunately I do mean an existing VPN server - Aurorean at the
>>moment, but I believe it will be CheckPoint fairly soon.  Thank you in
>>advance for any help you may be able to offer
>>Regards
>>Fred James
>>
>>Stuart Johnson
>>...added note...
>>One of our network engineers said he thought any PPTP client should work
>>- is that part of VPN, or separate?  Does that sound right?  Thank you
>>in advance for any help you may be able to offer
>>Regards
>>Fred James

Wayne Walker
PopTop appears to be a Linux server, and a client that will allow access
to that server (the client being available for Window, Linux, etc).  But
it does not appear to be a client that will allow access to something
like Aurorean or CheckPoint - I could be wrong there - can anyone say?

This page <http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/> says that Linux 2.6.15 is
supposed to have support for what I want, and then this page takes it
from there - anyone try this yet?

Hamachi is a subscription service that connects a group of computers in
a "VPN" routed through Hamachi's servers.  They say it will allow you to
connect from the Hamachi VPN to another LAN (VPN server?) - I am going
to ask Hamachi if that is true, but I suspect that my employer would
frown on this type of work around.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer
Regards
Fred James

...added note - GUI Hamachi is currently Windows only.  For Linux it is
console only so far, though they say they are working on it.
Regards
Fred James