[NTLUG:Discuss] Filesystems and inodes

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Mon Sep 4 14:21:54 CDT 2006

I've been bit by too many inodes before but it's extermely rare.

My FC5 notebook has 700,000 used inodes and 13,300,000 free.  Therefore
I've used only 5% and I have more files that most people I know (300,000
files for my mirror of CPAN, etc).

So, I'm  curious what you are doing that would crate enough files to run
out of inodes (the defaults these days is a very large number).

I do know that the way most Unix file systems are made (HP hfs, BSD/Sun
UFS, ext2/3) is such that adding inodes later is very hard and
undermined the not-prone-to-fragmentation part of *nix file systems.

Some of the newer ones or more advanced ones (reiser; xfs/jfs) might
have this ability.