[NTLUG:Discuss] Dallas Ubuntu Team

Schpenke schpenke at juicymumpy.net
Mon Sep 11 17:23:14 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 16:47 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:

> How would you characterize Ubuntu and Kubuntu?
> Bleeding edge?
> Trailing edge?

Hmm... is there such a thing as a cautiously persistent edge?

On one hand you're never going to be in the Alpha testing team with any
Ubuntu distro unless that's something that you want and volunteer to do.
Most application and driver installations will have been properly tested
and given a thumbs-up after a proper alpha/beta lifeline before being
made available.

> I tried Ubuntu 4.?? a couple of years ago and it failed to recognize my
> NIC and my monitor. I gave up after being unable to find updated drivers
> for either. I will take the blame here. That is when I became aware I was
> a "trailing edge" guy.
> I am sure Debian and Ubuntu/Kubuntu are fine now.

I have only run across a few devices that haven't been handled with
Ubuntu 6.06.  One of them was a suspiciously cheap USB thumbdrive, one
was a multipurpose USB webcam/speakerphone (too be fair, Ubuntu did
detect the device via lsusb... it just didn't care), and the other is
any WiFi chipset that uses a softMAC.

Most everything else in my experience has had excellent driver support
and was detected immediately.

-S