[NTLUG:Discuss] backing up in linux....

David Stanaway david at stanaway.net
Thu Sep 14 23:39:32 CDT 2006

If you use a filesystem which has a dump utility which supports
incremental dumps, use that.

xfs is good in this regard. Its dump utility supports full and
differential dumps.

So every week, do a full dump, then every 3 hours or whatever, do a
level 5 differential (You can pick any number between 1 and I think 7 or
9, google will tell you more about differential backups).

rsync is good too and portable. You can with some trickery have rsync
copy just the differences between two trees to a third location.