[NTLUG:Discuss] Networking a local printer on LPT1 or USB

David Stanaway david at stanaway.net
Mon Oct 16 21:10:09 CDT 2006

John Thomas wrote:
> I've been running a Linux system (RedHat EL4) for some time, using VM
> Ware to run Windows XP.  Right now, I have to unload the Linux printer
> modules for VM Ware to access the local printers.
>
> I assume that the solution is to set up the local printers under Linux
> as network printers, but I don't know how to go about it.  If helpful,
> the CUPS system is running.  Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Get the URL for the printer in cups

eg: http://192.168.232.1:631/printers/HP-DeskJet-3320

In windows, go to the add printer wizard, select Network printer, then
specify printer URL, put the URL you collected earlier and pic the driver.

If windows doesn't have a native driver for the printer, first install
the driver or if you can download a driver that extracts to a directory
with a .inf file, choose the search for driver, specifying that location
to look in.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't exactly match up, just runnimg from
memory and I have only done it a few times.