[NTLUG:Discuss] Data Storage recommendations wanted.

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Thu Nov 16 13:27:10 CST 2006

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> A friend of mine is starting a document scanning and storage business,
> and asked me the best way to store the documents. The documents will be
> scanned and stored on some type of non-volatile media, and will be
> stored for so many days (30, 60 or 90) online.
>
> Right now he is backing up to CD.  I am recommending to upgrade to DVD.
> Is that what you folks recommend?
>
> For the online data he does not need speed, he just needs tons of cheap
> space. What is the cheapest way to store data on line? Just get a bunch
> of SATA or IDE hard drives on multiple cheap servers?
>
> Kip

I've got a 12-bay (actually 14, but missing two sleds) direct attached
SCSI RAID that I might be selling.  It has either 300GB drives or
250GB drives.. regardless, it's a lot of RAID storage.

Price will be around $2100 with 12 drives.  I think they're 300GB
drives.  I doubt you'll be able to beat the cost/gig.

Now... that's direct attached SCSI, so you'll have to NAS it out
(NFS or SMB) if you want other hosts to use the same space.

Let me know if you're interested.  Btw, I haven't fully tested
the unit in question... I just got it.  It's probably ok though.