[NTLUG:Discuss] mbox repair util/script?

agoats agoats at compuserve.com
Mon Nov 20 20:52:03 CST 2006

I won't say for sure, but what I've had happen is the summary file that
locates the position of the actual message sometimes gets corrupted.
This is true with Netscape, Mozilla and Thunderbird (both Windoze and
Linux versions). Delete the summary file and let the software rebuild
the summary file.

The cause is usually aborting either during a transfer between folders,
update or compaction where the data is being rewritten. I've had mbox
itself damage one message in a large file once in the years since I
first used Linux, but the summary files have been trashed many times over.

Alvin