[NTLUG:Discuss] Basic Linux Server Questions

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at cox-internet.com
Tue Nov 21 18:47:47 CST 2006

I am putting together a web server for the students in my class.  I have
installed Debian 3.1 Testing and Apache2.2.  Before I put this out for
the world to see I want to make sure the server is as secure as I can
make it.  The server is going to be on the school network, inside our
firewall/router, but it is necessary for the web pages to be visible to
the Internet as a whole.  I have a few questions if anyone on the list
is willing to offer help.  How do I see which services are running?
Which services are essential for a web server?  Do I set up ftp for my
students to up load their pages or scp, or is there a default ftp upload
capability?  Any help will be appreciated.

--
Three o'clock in the afternoon is always just a little too late or a
little too early for anything you want to do. -- Jean-Paul Sartre