[NTLUG:Discuss] Cheap Linux boxes at Fry's

Jason Mock Jason at Mock.ws
Tue Jan 9 20:24:11 CST 2007

Oh... and sorry Brian... I didn't see the first post about not stirring up
things about Fry's, and I didn't realize that had been an issue in the past
on here.

As far as VMWare host/clients, I've ran in both environments with vmware
(Linux host, Windows guest, and vice versa).  In previous versions of
vmware, when USB support was somewhat lacking I would have preferred windows
as host, however recent releases have greatly improved that functionality.
However the more the memory the better and as always the more the processor
the better.  I would recommend at least 1gb or more, especially if your
running windows xp in any case.  However I would also add that I ran into
accasional compilation issues when running gentoo as the guest o/s under
vmware (that was vmware ver 3, so things may have improved since then), but
other than that I've never had a problem either way...

Jason M.

On 1/9/07, John Thomas <j.a.thomas at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Robert Pearson wrote:
> > On 1/8/07, agoats <agoats at compuserve.com> wrote:
> >

> > Anybody running Windows as the host OS on a laptop and VMware over it
> > with Linux as a VMware client? Seems like when I researched this last,
> > it would work?
> >

> I've been running Windows as a guest OS under VMWare on Linux on a Dell
> laptop and it works fine.  So, the reverse should probably work also.
>
> John A. Thomas
> j.a.thomas @ sbcglobal . net
> 972-660-1823 (home)
> 972-419-8378 (work)