[NTLUG:Discuss] standard and alternate time changes

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Mon Jan 29 21:36:17 CST 2007

All
In Linux I have found a reference to the environmental variable TZ in
environ(5) (man and info), as a variable that gives "time zone
information used by  tzset(3)" but I have not found any indications of
format.

In SGI IRIX, I found information that would seem to indicate that ...
"CST6:00:00CDT5:00:00,M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00"
in the file /etc/TIMEZONE
would cause CDT to begin at 2:00 AM on the 2nd Sunday of March, and end
at 2:00 AM on the 1st Sunday of November.

The form is given as
stdoffset[dst[offset],[start[/time],end[/time]]] where one possible form
of start/time,end/time is given as
Mm.n.d where
"The dth day, (0<d<6) of the week n of the month m of the year(1<n<5,
1<m<12), where week 5 means ``the last d-day in the month m'' which may
occur in either the fourth or fifth week).  Week 1 is the first week in
which the dth day occurs.  Day 0 is Sunday"

I am guessing here, but might that work as the environmental variable
TZ, set by /etc/profile?

Any thoughts or experience?  Thank you in advance for any help you may
be able to offer.
Regards
Fred James

PS: I am not going to have a machine I can test that on for a while yet.