[NTLUG:Discuss] Making a spam shield server

Jay Urish j at unixwolf.net
Mon Feb 12 10:16:52 CST 2007

I have heard of this setup before.. A few major fortune 500's do this...
I think you need to run postfix under CentOS and configure it as a
relay. It should forward all mail for whateveryourdomainis.com to the
internal IP..

The other option is dump mickyshaft exchange because it sux0rz.

. Daniel wrote:
> Here's the scenario:
>
> At the office is a MS Exchange 2003 server.  I would like to put up a
> Linux box (got it loaded and just about ready to go) running CentOS 4.4 to
> accept mail for the domain and forward it on to the Exchange server after
> processing through greylisting and spam assassin's filters.
>
> The problem is that I get a user unknown error.  So either I create users
> manually (not gonna happen) or come up with a way to link the server to the
> Active Directory domain via LDAP as a means of determining whether or not a
> user exists.
>
> There is a sendmail configuration that will allow for simply accepting ALL
> mail incoming for a domain, but that's a dangerous proposition considering
> all the directory lookup bots running out there. (Ever check your mail logs
> and see attempts at delivery to
> alphabetically sorted random names?  They are scanning for valid
> accounts... heaven forbid I give spammers a reason to hit my mail server
> with billions of invalid email account requests.)  Further, I get no
> indication that SpamAssassin gets its hands on the mail before passing it
> on which is kind of useless.
>
> So anyone with any such knowledge care to share?
>
> (What I have so far is a CentOS 4.4 box configured with relaydelay and spam
> assassin.  It seems to be working just fine and just needs configuration to
> suit the needs described above.)

Jay Urish CCNA    Network Engineer
http://jay.unixwolf.net
Home)972.691.0125    Cell)972.965.6229