[NTLUG:Discuss] Samba Server comments = performance hit

Rev. wRy slot0k at pogox.org
Wed Feb 14 07:53:16 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 07:45, Michael Barnes wrote:
> > http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html#id288558
> >
> > You can use testparm to keep a commented copy and a stripped running copy
> > to get the best of both worlds.
> >

> I've done quite a bit of Samba work.  I have never heard anything about
> comments in smb.conf or any other conf file for anything affecting
> performance.  I carefully reviewed the above link and find no place that
> references comments and performance.
>
> I think there is a simple misunderstanding someplace.

Quite probably this was the section he was referring to:

The smb.conf file is constantly checked by the Samba daemons smbd and
every instance of itself that it spawns, nmbd and winbindd. It is good
practice to keep this file as small as possible. Many administrators
prefer to document Samba configuration settings and thus the need to
keep this file small goes against good documentation wisdom. One
solution that may be adopted is to do all documentation and
configuration in a file that has another name, such as smb.conf.master.
The testparm utility can be used to generate a fully optimized smb.conf
file from this master configuration and documtenation file as shown
here:

> Michael

RW