[NTLUG:Discuss] More spamshield project

Jay Urish j at unixwolf.net
Fri Feb 16 23:18:03 CST 2007

I have nothing to add, but keep up the good work! Sounds like the
makings of a cool appliance CD. As a network engineer I have had to
support exchange and I really hate it and outlook with a raging passion.
  For those clients of mine that insist, a bundled CentOS CD with all
this stuff in a raw pre-fab format would be a god-send.

. Daniel wrote:
> Just to recap, here's what I've got so far:
>
> The goal is to make an external SMTP relay box that checks for spam and
> eventually forbidden attachments and sends the good stuff on to an internal
> MS Exchange server.
>
> What works:
> * CentOS and the basics (sendmail, webmin, etc)
> * Greylisting (Endless thanks to Wayne)
> * Connecting to the Active Directory to test for valid accounts (Thanks to
> Chris!)
> * Relaying incoming mail to Exchange via SMTP (piece of cake)
>
> What doesn't work:
> * SpamAssassin isn't checking the relayed email.
>   (It does check local delivery though. Procmail calls SpamAssassin.)
> * Forbidden attachment scanning (haven't even gotten there yet)
>
> I have gotten to the point where I am too sleepy to think or read any
> further.  This combination of tools and the goals are not unique.  I just
> haven't found the missing details yet.  I'm guessing somene here already
> knows the answer though.  Anyone got anything?

Jay Urish CCNA    Network Engineer
http://jay.unixwolf.net
Home)972.691.0125    Cell)972.965.6229