[NTLUG:Discuss] File Locking

David Stanaway david at stanaway.net
Thu Apr 12 21:54:04 CDT 2007

Take a look at the vipw program for an example of a wrapper around the
system password files spawning your editor.

You could archive the same thing in a shell script using a utility
program called lockfile for instance, or use a (pick your poison - perl,
python, ruby) script to do the locking with system calls.